In a Nutshell
The Colonial Lodge No. 1821 is excited to host the 5th Annual Colonial Challenge on Saturday, June 3, 2017. Teams of two will compete in a series of individual and team challenges to score the most points by the end of the game. The Challenge will begin at the House of the Temple, take the teams on a journey throughout downtown Washington, DC, and conclude with a festive board at the Independent Order of Odd Fellows Temple where the winning team will be declared.
Teams and How to Play
Teams of two will kick-off at the House of the Temple at 12:00pm for an initial challenge. This challenge will lead them from one location to the next where they may have to locate landmarks, identify objects, or compete in a series of mini, team-building challenges. Mini-challenges will be single-participant or team-based tasks rooted in trivia and team coordination. For example, we may hand you a map and ask you to identify state capitals or you may need to score points by throwing a ball into a hula hoop 50 feet away. As we’ve done in prior years, the end of the Challenge will include a short round of free play where participants can rack up additional points by participating in public dares. Examples of dares may include taking photos high-fiving a stranger or photographing an airplane. Finally, teams must return to the IOOF Temple by 4:00pm where they will turn in their public dare photos and Colonial brethren will tally the final scores.
The winning team will receive:
- The Colonial Cup with their lodge name and victory year on a plaque on the base of the Cup for display in their lodge for the following next year
- The labor of a contingent of Colonial brethren at a service event of their choosing
- Bragging rights within the Jurisdiction
Challenge Festive Board
The post-Challenge Festive Board is open to masons and non-masons as well as participants and non-participants alike. While returning participants relax with a catered meal, Colonial brethren will tally final scores and prepare the team rankings. A Colonial brother will serve as Master of Ceremonies and facilitate a short, informal festive board of beer-based toasts to thank those who participated and celebrate our fraternal fellowship. Following the last toast, the third, second, and first place teams will be announced, photos will be taken, and we’ll close out the Colonial Challenge until next year.
The Challenge is open to non-masons and masons alike. For purposes of declaring a lodge victor at the end of the Challenge, we ask that each team be sponsored by a lodge. If your lodge has prospective candidates, this is a great opportunity to pair them with a brother of your lodge and introduce them to social side of the Craft.
- Team members must stick together throughout the Challenge.
- Teams may use public transportation to get from one location to the next.
- During trivia challenges, no outside resources may be consulted.
- Teams will be docked 1 point for every minute they are late (after 4:00pm) to the finish line.
How to Register
- Find a teammate!
- Come up with a clever team name.
- Fill out team/individual registration survey (blue button, below).
- Make a payment via the paypal link below (or send a check, info below).
- Details like starting location and other logistics will be emailed to teams a week before the event.
Registration fees support the renting of space as well as the procurement of food, beverages, and supplies. We also donate 10% of Challenge proceeds to St. Mary’s Court, a service organization located in DC’s Foggy Bottom neighborhood where we perform our annual service project.
Team Entry (including Festive Board): $100 per team
Festive Board only: $30 per guest
Payment and Registration
The Colonial Lodge No. 1821
C/O Anthony Pandolfo
1718 13th Street NW
Washington, DC 20009
Still have questions about the Challenge? Please contact Q Driskell (firstname.lastname@example.org).